Monday, July 4, 2022

Fireworks and Fun Memories

 

Many memories are created on July 4th as we celebrate America's Independence Day. The fireworks, parades, food, and gathering with family and friends always have meant a lot to me.

Among my earliest memories are trying to get the neighborhood kids to join me in a parade. Of course, it was just me decorating my tricycle with whatever pinwheels, streamers, & small flags I could find, along with whoever else I could get to join. Our parade route was to circle around the block. But, I do love a parade!

But the funniest July 4th-related memory happened while my cousin Debbie and I, along with our children, spent several days at Smith Lake. We had enjoyed several days of water fun, food, going to see the fireworks, fishing, etc.  

My aunt Sula (Debbie's mom) came up to join us for the weekend following the 4th. On Saturday night we rented, "My Stepmother is an Alien" to watch with the kids. We expected a kid-friendly comedy.

At one point, Dan Akroyd and Kim Basinger go to the bedroom and the scene goes straight to a fireworks display. Rob, Debbie's 7 y/o son, looks at the adults and asks, "Why are there fireworks?" My aunt's face turned a bright red as someone replied, "Its because they're having sex, Rob."

Rob thought for a few seconds, then turned to his grandmother and announced, "Nan, there was A LOT of people having sex at Big Bridge Marina when we went there!" 🤣🎆🤣🎇🤣

No comments: