Wednesday, February 7, 2024

GLORIA GAYNOR: I Will Survive

 

GLORIA GAYNOR: I WILL SURVIVE: A Journey of Faith, Hope, and a Magnificent Second Act. This One-Night-Only documentary is the story of a Disco legend who, for five decades, has inspired millions with her words I WILL SURVIVE. Gaynor only truly understood the lyrics when she hit rock bottom herself. This is a look at her journey!

"Gloria Gaynor: I Will Survive" is in theaters only on February 13, 2024. BUY TICKETS.

At the age of 65, facing a devastating divorce to her husband and manager of 25 years, financial ruin, and spiraling health concerns, Gaynor sought to not only survive, but thrive with unwavering faith and the spark of new dreams.

The film follows Gaynor as she embarks on a difficult 8-year journey to write and record a gospel album. We discover a tale of the remarkable challenges that fueled Gaynor’s music and path to stardom. "GLORIA GAYNOR: I WILL SURVIVE" celebrates reinvention, the power of faith, and a magnificent second act.



My Review: I had the chance to see this in advance, so I want to write a personal recommendation. I confess that I have never been a huge fan of disco, but I Will Survive was an exception from the moment I heard it, and I still love the song. Gloria Gaynor is definitely talented and this film proves her voice is as beautiful as ever. Seeing the ups and downs of her career, marriage, and painful health issues demonstrate that "I Will Survive" is a poignant, powerful anthem to define her life. I also remember when she did an updated version after becoming a Christian, using "
Only the Lord could give me strength not to fall apart" in the lyrics.

Part of the movie is about her goal of making a gospel music album. Two of my favorite artists, Bart Millard and Jason Crabb, were involved in making this album. Released in 2019 [Gaither Music Group], "Testimony" won the Grammy Award for Best Roots Gospel Album at the 62nd Grammy Awards.


LINKS

Buy Tickets

Website 

Facebook

Instagram 

YouTube

 


No comments: