Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Sanctuary by Ted Dekker

Vigilante priest, Danny Hansen is now serving a fifty year prison term in California for the murder of two abusive men. Filled with remorse, Danny is determined to live out his days by a code of non-violence and maneuvers deftly within a ruthless prison system. But when Renee Gilmore, the woman he loves, receives a box containing a bloody finger and draconian demands from a mysterious enemy on the outside, Danny must find a way to escape. (press release)

The Sanctuary is the second book in a series by Ted Dekker and continues with the characters of Danny Hansen and Renee Gilmore who were also the central characters for The Priest's Graveyard. I don't know if I could have gotten more out of this book if I had read the previous one, but The Sanctuary  never did fully engage my attention. It may have been the horrific action that took place that caused me to put an emotional wall up, but Mr. Dekker is very descriptive. It made it easy to visualize some of the actions taking place, and much of it was unpleasant. To be fair, though, a prison is not a happy place. I also guessed the antagonist's identity very early in the story, so there weren't really any surprises. However, I have read other of Dekker's books that held my attention, and I have no doubt that many of his fans will enjoy reading this one also.

I received an ARC (Advance Reading Copy) of this book from the publishers through Net Gallery. I was not required to give a positive review and all opinions are my own.

1 comment:

deborahseeley54 said...

I love that when I read one of your reviews....I am not expecting that you will always like it. I love that you are totally honest and fair!!! Love ya!!