Friday, November 11, 2022

Veteran's Day Movie Favorites

 

Veteran's Day is one holiday that I love to see celebrated with pomp, parades, and pride in those who served our country, both in war and peace. Being willing to lay down your life for your family and fellow citizens is an act of bravery not all are called to do. One day is not enough to celebrate these men and women.

Not everyone knows what it's like to serve your country through military service, but we do get to see slices of the life through the movies. A mixture of education and entertainment, movies cannot accurately portray the reality of actual service, but they are reminders of the past and visuals of times and trials during wartime.

Everyone has their favorites ranging from all wars and covering many genres. I have a few serious films in my Top 15, but I also love comedies and musicals. Why Top 15? Because I kept thinking of others I love and the list would take much to long to compose!!

My Top 15 Veteran's Day Movie: (in alphabetical order)

  1. Anchors Aweigh (1945)
  2. Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
  3. Flag of My Father (2011) 
  4. Go For Broke! (1951)
  5. Hacksaw Ridge (2016) 
  6. Mrs. Miniver (1942)
  7. Sergeant York (1941) 
  8. Shenandoah (1965) 
  9. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
  10. The Canterville Ghost (1944) 
  11. The Fighting 69th (1940)
  12. The Little Princess (1939) 
  13. The Patriot (2000)
  14. Unbroken: Path to Redemption 
  15. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
Of course, there many more good movies, and some that are better made. But these are some that stuck in my memory... making them My Favorites!


TRIVIA: Veteran's Day, originally known as Armistice Day, began November 11, 1919, on the first anniversary of the end of World War One. The Armistice with Germany formally ended major hostilities at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918. Raymond Weeks, a WW2 veteran (from my hometown of Birmingham, Alabama) approached [then] Army Chief of Staff General Dwight Eisenhower to create a holiday for all veterans. In 1954, President Eisenhower signed the bill changing the name from Armistice Day to Veteran's Day.


No comments: