Thursday, January 20, 2022

Redeeming Love

Based on the bestselling novel by Francine Rivers, REDEEMING LOVE is a powerful story of relentless love and perseverance as a young couple’s relationship clashes with the harsh realities of the California Gold Rush of 1850.

Angel (Abigail Cowen) expects only pain from those around her. Sold into prostitution as a child (Livi Birch), Angel survives with hatred towards herself and the men that use her. She meets Michael Hosea (Tom Lewis), a farmer who believes God wants Angel to be his wife. Dire circumstances force Angel to accept his proposal, but when Michael defies her bitter expectations, her wounded heart begins to mend.


As Angel encounters a love unlike anything she ever experienced, feelings of unworthiness and shame cause her to run from a life she doesn’t think she deserves. As Michael sets out to find her, Angel discovers there is no brokenness that love can’t heal.

 


My Review: Let me start by saying that this is a very powerful movie that is both heartbreaking and healing. I have read the book, but it was over 20 years ago, leaving me a bit hazy on some details. So I can't really compare the book to the movie. But, I do know that over the years, I have heard many say, "I wish someone would make a movie of Redeeming Love." Beginning Jan 21, 2022, (and Jan 20 in many theaters), you can now see the movie! Buy Tickets here! 

 
All involved can be pleased with their performances, but
I want to make a special mention of Abigail Cowen's amazing job portraying Angel. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about what the character went through and the transformation of Angel throughout the film. Livi Birch is also outstanding in the role of Angel as a child. The film is very well made and much time and talent was put into the making of it. It was filmed in South Africa, but it's easy to imagine it as 1850s California. Director D.J. Caruso and crew also deserve applause.

However, I do have a couple of issues. It's difficult to say much without spoilers, but I will do my best. Redeeming Love is rated PG-13, but I would be hesitant to take younger teens (and certainly not a child). Subject matter alone is reason for caution. Angel is a prostitute and much of the story takes place at a brothel. There are a few "coarse" words used, but my main concern is a couple of intimate scenes that lasted a few seconds longer than I wish they had, and one with nudity [although between well-placed furniture and Angel's long hair, there's actually nothing shown,] that emphasizes that the movie should be Mature Audiences Only.

I do wish more people, especially those who are not Christian, knew the movie was based (loosely) on the book of Hosea. Yet there are differences to consider too. Angel is a person we can sympathize with and feel compassion over due to her past. So her story of forgiveness, redemption, and healing is from a different place than the Biblical story of Gomer and Hosea. All things considered, I do like the film, but this story is not the same lesson to be learned in the Bible. Redeeming Love is a well-made, beautifully told story that shows that there is hope despite fears, failures, obstacles, and the belief that you don't deserve it because of past mistakes.

Disclosure: Many thanks to Universal for providing a sample of the product for this review. Opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation.

LINKS:

BUY TICKETS 

RedeemingLovemovie.com

FrancineRivers.com 

Order the Redeeming Love novel 

Facebook 

Twitter 

Instagram 

IMDb 

YouTube 

TikTok 

 

#RedeemingLoveMovieMIN #RedeemingLoveMovie
#MomentumInfluencerNetwork

 

No comments: