Friday, April 11, 2014

Iesodo - Love dvd


Iesodo (pronounced Yay-Sa-Doe), is a wise dove whose name means "The Way of Jesus"! He and his lovable feathered friends live in the Holy Land in a beautiful Cypress Tree on the shores of a vast Lake (or as we know it, the Sea of Galilee). The birds are an unlikely group of friends, and though they have their differences, they have one thing in common: since they met Iesodo, their lives have never been the same!

Zaya Toonz and Rollman Entertainment, the animation companies behind Iesodo, assembled a collaboration of experts with experience in both the children’s and Christian markets.

Directors for the series include Brian E. Ray (Muppet Babies, My Little Pony, and Ed, Ed, and Eddy) and Colin Brady (Toy Story, Toy Story 2, and A Bug's Life). Brady was also the former animation supervisor for Pixar Animation Studios.Producer Eric S. Rollman, President/CEO of Rollman Entertainment, is the former President of Production for Fox Kids and Marvel. Emmy nominee Rob Loos (McGee and Me! Christmas Lamb, Kids 10 Commandments, and Touched By An Angel) is the writer/producer. Voices include Iesodo - Tony Oliver; Barry - Joey Lotsko; Jacob - Ron Allen; Maggie - Erin Bethea; and Rocky - T. W. Gibis. Music is by Ed Smart.

In this video, writer/producer, Rob Loos, talks to Movieguide about the Iesodo series:




There are 2 episodes on each dvd. Both are short enough for young children to be able to pay attention and brightly colored birds who portray the characters are fun to watch. Music also is a vital role in keeping most kids entertained, and they are sure to enjoy the lively tunes included in the episodes and the theme song.

“Birds of a Feather, Fish Together” – The wedding celebration of Freddie and Fiona Finch is headed for disaster! Iesodo steps in to calm everyone’s ruffled feathers and make the event a success.
Scripture used - Luke 5:1-11, John 2:1-11, John 21:1-11


My review: Although it is weaving 3 different stories together, they do all tie in to the theme of working together and provision. There are several ways to get a lesson to the kids and the songs and images will help them remember. The sibling rivalry between the Pelican Brothers was my favorite part. Good job of tying in both a lesson you want the kids to learn, plus Biblical stories that can be expanded upon to share your faith.



“Love Your Enemies” – Zack, the tax collector, doesn’t play by the rules. Iesodo shows the flock that treating those who are mean to us with kindness really does make a big difference.
Scripture used - Luke 19:1-10, John 8:1-11

My review: This time there are 2 stories within the episode that deals with treating others with kindness and forgiveness. Zach the tax collector is taking unfair advantage through his position and his portion is even greater than the government requires. Through Iesedo, he learns that this is wrong and he repays all he is stolen. The flock learns about forgiveness.

The sub-story is the story of the adulterous woman (and it is presented in a kid-friendly method). At first I thought I would like the way this lesson was going to be turned into one of forgiveness, but then..........
STOP!! Major Problem!!

 
 Iesodo: "Are you sorry for what you did?" 

Angelina Blackbird: "Mmm-hmm. I was wrong and I deserve to be punished. But I am so very, very, very sorry."

Iesodo: "Honestly saying you are sorry means a lot. Go back to your flock and follow your heart to do what is right from now on."
(emphasis mine)

"Follow your heart to do what is right"??!!?? Maybe it's just the people I know, but when I questioned several, they all said the first thing that had also popped into my mind: "
The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?" - Jeremiah 17:9 (FYI: We all did not use the same translation, but we all said the same verse.) There are also numerous Scriptures about man doing what is right in his own eyes---and none of those are an encouragement to do so.

I know this series is meant for younger children, but most pre-schoolers I know do not automatically do what is right when they follow their heart. I would be okay with "...and do not take what is not yours from now on" or a variation, but I would not want the current message to be one a child hears. They are going to have a large enough struggle with others telling them the distorted message as they grow older.

So, great for animation, music for kids, and a great website. I also like the Special Features section that gives additional info on Bible verses, the stories, the lessons, and the music. The first story is good, but I would proceed with caution on the second. I realize it is just the wording and not the message that is intended...but it still bothers me. So, except for one line, this is a video I would recommend. However, that one line is a stumbling block for me. On the other hand, I could use it to teach a lesson or two also.

Disclosure: I received this dvd compliments of Word Films and Edify Media for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

Iesodo website

No comments: