Tuesday, January 8, 2013

"Les Miserables" - Focus On The Family

Victor Hugo's classic book Les Miserables  has always been popular, but this story of love, redemption, and forgiveness is once again in the headlines due to the release of the filmed version of the musical.  Focus on the Family Radio Theatre's Les Miserables is a bit different from the onscreen version, but this is much more family-friendly. Brian Blessed, Geoffrey Palmer, and Leo McKern are some of the better known (to me anyway) actors who bring this story to life in a manner that is sure to capture the attention and imagination of the entire family.

I listened to this radio drama, saw the 2012 film currently in theaters, and watched the 25th anniversary musical version online. All 3 have their good points and their bad ones, but I would say that this radio drama holds its own with the others. I have only read summaries and abridged (children editions) of the story, so I honestly cannot say who stays closest to the original story. I suspect each had twists and tweaks to the vision of the one responsible for the making of each but each tell the story of forgiveness and mercy versus unforgiveness and legalism. Love, loyalty, and sacrifice are themes that reverberate throughout, and this would be an excellent introduction to children of a classic tale that remains relevant.

Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a free copy of this audio drama. I was under no obligation to give a favorable review, and all opinions are my own.

No comments: