Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Matchmakers Of Butternut Creek

The Matchmakers of Butternut Creek is the 2nd book in a series by Jane Myers Perrine. The series revolves around Butternut Creek Christian Church's new minister and a group of well-meaning but interfering ladies know as "The Widows". They want to make sure he knows how things should be done...and are determined to see him settled down with a wife.

Once again, the Widows of Butternut Creek are determined to find a bride for Pastor Adam. This time, their candidate is as gun shy as the pastor!

A traumatic experience as a college freshman has left Gussie Milton 'once bitten, twice shy.' Although she'd like a relationship, she's frightened, so she's thrown herself into caring for her aging parents, her photography business, and her church. In the eyes of Miss Birdie and her friend Mercedes, aka 'the Widows,' Gussie would make their young pastor the perfect wife. And though the attraction proves mutual, first Gussie's past and then the pastor's hopes for the future threaten to keep them apart. Can the Widows' meddling be the catalyst that changes the couple's lives forever?
(from the publisher)

It took me a while to really get into this one. While it is not vital that you have read the first book in the series, I do wonder if my interest would have been captured a bit earlier. There were quirky characters, and fun moments, but sometimes it seemed a bit too predictable. I think I would have been a bit more forgiving on this if I had been in on the action from the moment of Adam's arrival, instead of feeling like I had walked in a bit late and needed to play catch-up. 

On a positive note, some very real and serious issues were addressed in this book. I felt they were handled in a realistic manner, and did bring the characters more to life for me. By the last few chapters, I was beginning to care more about the characters and felt a more vested interest in them. Through much of the book, I felt only a luke-warm interest, but by the closing chapter, I must admit to being curious to what will happen in the third in this series. So, I am borderline between 3 or 4 stars, but will go with a 4 star review...with reservation. I would recommend getting The Welcome Committee Of Butternut Creek and reading it first.

Like Jane Myers Perrine on Facebook
Like FaithWords on Facebook

DISCLAIMER: I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments: