Friday, September 23, 2016

The Afters - Live On Forever

Live on Forever by The Afters is a celebration of God's faithfulness, protection and promise, made more poignant due to it coming out of a season of tragedy. Health scares of a band member and a friend, and the deaths of a friend from church and of the infant daughter of the band's soundman during the two years the band spent writing and recording this album was cause for them to press even closer to God and His protection and shelter.

Josh Havens, guitarist and lead singer, when asked to pick out a song that sums up the spirit of the album, chose “Battles.” “It was the last song we wrote and the fastest we wrote,” he says. “We don’t typically write songs fast; we’ll change lyrics and melodies and craft our songs carefully. But ‘Battles’ poured out, the music and lyrics, in one day. It’s about standing up against fear and knowing God is always with us,” Havens explains. “It’s one of the takeaways we hope people get: ‘Don’t give up to fear."




I like this album. There are other songs The Afters have done in the past that I like better, but this is a good collection. To be fair, the style is more the type I will listen to now and then rather than a full set, but that is more due to my personal preference than anything else. The fact that I have listened to the CD several times, sometimes hitting replay at the end, is great. On most "pop" music albums, there is usually at least one song that has me hitting Mute. And, the more I listen to the lyrics, the more I like each song. 

My favorites on this CD are "Sunrise," "Live On Forever" and "When You Are With Me." The thing about this album that pleases me most is that it is songs TO God rather than ABOUT God. Since music is such a huge part of my praise and worship time with God, I love to sing songs to Him. It's always good when I don't have to change the lyrics to make sense when I am talking to Him.

Bottom line is that I really do like the album, and while it is not my favorite musical style, the words are inspirational and uplifting---especially encouraging if you are struggling or going through a difficult trail---or ready to praise Him for seeing you through it. 


GIVEAWAY: Propeller/Flyby is offering one CD to a reader of this blog. Simply respond no later than Sept 29, 2016. Winner will be announced September 30, 2016. Open to US and Canada residents only. 

"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the
Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post. Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway.  If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller / FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win.  Or if you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”



Buy-links:
iTunes: LOFAlbum-iTunes

Google Play:  LOFAlbum-GPlay
Amazon: LOFAlbum-Amazon
Spotify: open.spotify.com/album/4sVbYL5y6d2nMX2H5LggGx

Get Connected with The Afters:
Official website: theafters.com
twitter.com/theafters
facebook.com/theafters
instagram.com/theaftersofficial



No comments: