Monday, March 17, 2014

Restless DVD Study Kit - Jennie Allen

In Restless, an 8-session, video-based small group Bible study, Bible study teacher and author Jennie Allen helps you discover a practical plan to identify the threads of your life and how to weave them together for God's glory and purposes.Restless explores this important question: “Do I matter?” And Jennie asks, "We live with lots of things, lots of people…but do we live for something?”
Using the story of Joseph, Jennie explains how his suffering, gifts, story, and relationships fit into the greater story of God-and how your story can do the same. She also introduces Threads – a tool to help you see your own personal story and to uncover and understand the raw materials God has given you to use for his glory and purpose.
Filled with practical tools and biblical teaching, Restless will equip you to:


  • Make sense of the seemingly random relationships and activities of life
  • Redeem life's hurts and scars
  • Place your story in context with God's greater story
  • Sessions include:
    • Introduction
    • God’s Story
    • Gifts
    • Scars
    • Place
    • People
    • Passion
    • Holy Spirit

    Kit includes DVD, study guide, leader's guide, and discussion card set.
    (The info above is from the Thomas Nelson product page.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Review: 'Restless' is a word I have used to describe myself for a couple of years now, so I jumped at the opportunity to review a curriculum based on that word. When I saw that it was going to be based on a study of Joseph and how his story is woven from tangled threads into a beautiful picture of God's ultimate plan for his life, it all made sense. As Jennie put it, "Untangling the threads of our lives and assembling them together in one place reveals a beautiful plan designed by the Creator himself: God's Agenda + my threads + the need + the Holy Spirit = my purpose."

    This 8 part dvd curriculum, meant for small groups, is interactive for members to respond to each session. The topics bring a focus
    the unique threads in your life: the Gifts, Scars, Places, People, Passions that combine to make you the person you are and can be used to fulfill God's purpose in your life. A part that struck a nerve with me was when Jennie used the example, "Why would I teach a Bible Study when Beth Moore is in the world?" I know how quickly I back away from projects because there are so many who do it so much better. It is easy to be restless when you keep retreating to a place filled with fear and self-doubt. This isn't a study that goes deep into Scripture, but I feel that it is one that can be as beneficial to the mature believer as it can to those new or seeking faith. This is a study that can meet people where they are today.

    I highly recommend this curriculum. Even if you have never led a study group before, there are clear instructions and suggestions on the best way to use your time. I also liked the discussion cards to be used; sometimes you need spark to ignite a conversation and these work great. Of course, when you are being transparent with others, there will need to be trust among the group. So, while it could be abridged to fit the needs of a larger group, but it is still suggested you break into more intimate groups for discussion. I liked it just as a personal study and plan to go back through it again without having to make the notes I needed as a reviewer. The kit comes with the dvd, the leader's guide, a participant's study guide and a discussion card set.


    Disclaimer: I was provided with these materials at no cost to myself by Shelton Interactive. There was no requirement that I give a good review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.




    Jennie Allen on Facebook
    Jennie Allen on Pinterest
    Follow @JennieAllen on Twitter
    Visit Jennie's website: Jennie Allen

    No comments: