Thursday, September 8, 2011

Milestones

Although I already knew the significance today holds for me, it brought a rush of memories back when I saw what I had posted one year ago today. (not ALL of the new FB features annoy me). I had posted the following:
Cindy Navarro is going for a walk since I just realized it is dark again. Hopefully it is much less humid tonight...or it will be a short one.

Everyone is probably thinking, "So? You often post something mundane like that!" And then people who haven't seen me in years are really confused since I used to walk for miles just out of the sheer love of walking. I have mentioned several times about the wreck I had 17 years ago. Locally, I'm sure there are several who noticed that I often had a cane, or even a walker, at times. Unless I knew there were plenty of chairs around, I was afraid to risk not having something to lean on.

Anyway...when I returned from walking that night, it was with tears streaming down my face and the awe that for the first time since Aug. 13, 1994, I walked 1 MILE...unaided!! It was probably a world record for the slowest mile ever walked, but I DID IT!! I couldn't think of anyone who would understand the amazing victory this was for me, but had to share my joy with someone!! I had been "talking" with a fairly new FB friend earlier, so when I saw another message, I shared my news. All I will say is that God led me to the perfect encourager!! :)  

This has also been a year of taking control of depression, which has plagued me for years. Have I conquered it? No. Nor do I walk every day. There are setbacks, but the recovery time is much quicker. Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for being sad... or not walking. Sometimes...I just don't want to deal with emotional or physical health. But, I have a God who constantly reminds me of His love (and, sometimes, that is through a friend either reminding me of God's love...or a  "Are you walking?" lol) 


Today, I am reminding myself to KEEP WALKING...both physically and in my spiritual walk. After a few days of physical inactivity, that mile today was harder, but worth the effort. As I journey closer to the time when I will forever be walking with my Lord, I want to increase my endurance and victories over physical difficulties and depression. So, this begins Year 2 and my expectations are...

 
 


...You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy ~ Psalm 30:11

4 comments:

Lori LC said...

That is so great! sometimes the hardest thing to do is take a step,but when we do we find ourselves one step forward from where we were.
Life can feel overwhelming at times ,but as we have been told,"Many are the afflictions,but He will deliver us from them ALL"(John 14:12)
As the motto in 'Meet the Robinsons' goes "Keep moving forward"
~ you are an inspiration <3
Sincerely,
Lori

Cindy Navarro said...

Thanks Lori! I appreciate your words...and you!

deborah_seeley said...

Amen to that!!! You truly are an inspiration. You are very determined when it comes to something that you truly believe it....And you just don't give up!!!!Though I am sure at times, it must be very tempting. We have a Father that knows all and as you said, He just sends the right person or situation to remind us just how much He loves us!!!I am proud to call you my sister and my friend!!!!!P.S. You can be my DJ anytime!!! : )

Cindy Navarro said...

Thanks Deb!! Love you too sister-friend!!