Monday, September 24, 2018

Little Women review



Little Women invites you to love and laugh together with your sisters, the women you are connected with through family and/or heart connections for this celebration of family and the deep bonds between sisters. This is not a faithful adaption of the original book, but a fresh look at the family dynamics in current times. Being released in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of Louisa May Alcott's novel, I believe it will bring a whole new fan base. As much as I love the historical specs of the original, I believe this version remains true to the characters in the novel while bringing a story that relates to today's woman.

Featuring a strong cast of women including Jo (Sarah Davenport)
, Meg (Melanie Stone), Beth (Allie Jennings), Amy (Elise Jones), and Marmee (Lea Thompson), they remain faithful to the novel characters and have a sisterly comradery that works well onscreen. I also saw traits that were part of Louisa May Alcott's personality. She based Jo on herself and I think the modern-day Jo would still be like Alcott if she were living in the 21st century. I love the "Castles in the Air" that Marmee makes for each as she wisely encourages her daughters to remain true to themselves and their individual goals. I don't strongly identify with any of them, but see traits I love and dislike in each. 


The men of the film are also well cast. Laurie (Lucas Grabeel), Freddy (Ian Bohen), Papa March (Bart Johnson), and Brooke (Stuart Edge) are all strong, caring men who encourage these independent, strong "little women" to be themselves, fulfill their dreams and support their choices... and love them just the way they are. The character that is changed the most from the novel is Freddy Bahr, but I really like what the writers did with him. Just as the females had their strengths and weaknesses, the men did as well... but each was very loveable.

Little Women: A Modern Retelling was written and directed by Claire Neiderpruem. I was just as enchanted by her vision of the film as I was the first time I read the novel as a child. Two of my favorite retellings are Clueless (Emma) and 10 Things I Hate About You (The Taming of the Shrew)... and this film will be added to my list of film adaptations of classic novels. I loved it and plan to see it again. The themes of self-identity, purpose, loyalty, and family are important lessons for all. Even when the sisters did not always understand another's dream, each loved and supported one another.

Many thanks to LEV3L Digital for the chance to see this movie! 

No comments: