Monday, February 12, 2018

Graciousness ~ John Crotts

Anger and criticism have become the standard response today, especially in a world where one of the major sources of communication is the internet. I often find myself hoping that people who comment on articles and posts would not actually be that abrasive and unforgiving in a face-to-face discussion. I try to temper my responses and believe I am gracious when I comment, but it's not always easy to judge a person's tone and temperament in the written word...especially on hot topic issues. I love to look at all sides of an issue to understand the perspective of others, but, if I hope to remain gracious, I need to back away a bit from overfilling my mind. It did seem perfect timing to receive a chance to review "Graciousness: Tempering Truth With Love" by John Crotts.

The author says that LISTENING with love is one of the first steps in the right direction. I know that I have been guilty of forming my response rather than really listening to what another says. He makes a valid point that we are to THINK before we speak also. While there are certain topics that have an absolute truth, some are more a matter of opinion. Is your need to feel right more important than the chance to have a meaningful conversation? Crotts fills this book with Scripture and practical wisdom to help with the spiritual growth that all of us need. The Body of Christ is built on relationship and community. If we can't treat each other with kindness how can we reach people wandering in spiritual darkness?

The book is small and compact but is well worth the read. And, it shows that we are all flawed at times, but we need to learn how to be gracious after we have been less than gracious in the past. Sometimes there is a need for righteous anger, but we have an example in the Bible about getting angry without sinning. Crotts covers a wide range as he teaches the true meaning of graciousness.

I received a copy of this book via Cross Focused Reviews (A Service of Cross Focused Media, LLC).

"What will it profit a man if he gains his cause and silences his adversary if at the same time, if at the same time he oses that humble, tender frame of spirit in which the Lord delights, and to which the promise of His presence is made?" ~ John Newton

No comments: