Sunday, March 17, 2019

Other Bodies - Joel Ohman

In a world where immersive VR suits distort what is real from what is not, and the AI Personhood Act blurs the lines between body and bot, the choices sixteen-year-old Hattie Martins faces are very personal. How far would you go to undo your greatest regret?

My Review: My first impulse was to pass on reviewing this one simply because YA Dystopia isn't something that interests me. Yet, once I saw the subject matter, I decided to go for it. The story of a teenager who discovers she is pregnant is one that tugs at the heartstrings. Her only relative, her grandfather, has recently died leaving her alone and broke. She is able to obtain a job at "Managed Motherhood" due to her experience as a caregiver to him and is the only hope she has. Hattie is torn on what to do about her pregnancy, and despite the futuristic setting, the dilemma she faces is one that stretches back for centuries.

I never did understand some of the twists and turns, but I did get drawn into the plot and the characters. The book was about more than abortion and people in the story were multi-dimensional. I would have enjoyed the book more if some had been a bit more clearly defined, but I can't fault the style either. It also drew me deeper into the story instead of letting me merely expect & lean on default characters that fit a cliche.

Other Bodies does use the mantra of many who say, "My Body, My Choice." However, it goes beyond the narrowing of that mindset being the sole reason for the decision that Hattie ultimately makes. Nor does the story tie up neatly at the end with tidy solutions. You are left wanting to know, "What happened next?" But, it is a satisfying close to that chapter and it is hoped that it leaves the reader not only wanting more of the story but also wanting to explore the subject matter. It's a very good book that I recommend, especially for teens and young adults. 


LINKS:
Buy "Other Bodies"


 
AbortionFacts.com


I received a copy of this book from the author via #FlyByBloggers in exchange for a fair and honest review. 

No comments: