Tuesday, January 22, 2019

January 22, 1973 - 46 Years Later

On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court of the United States of America ruled that American women had the right to take the life of their unborn children. The most recent numbers say that there have been 60,069,971 Abortions in America since that date. That is approximately triple the number of current residents living in the state of New York... a state which today (1/22/2019) voted to strengthen their abortion laws. The Governor is determined to make abortion legal up to the moment of birth. Callous disregard for the unborn child is evident in all who approve these heinous actions. 

 I have been pro-life for nearly 50 years. I first heard about abortion when I was 15 and was horrified that anyone would consider ending the life of a growing child God had created. A few weeks after Roe v Wade, I had a choice to make. I was a 17-year-old high school senior. I worked part-time in an office as a clerk-typist and had just been offered the opportunity to work full-time as an entry-level Civil Service employee. I was also engaged to be married but was having doubts about whether it was a wise decision.

Then, I realized I was pregnant. When I told my fiance, he was overjoyed, but asked, "Are you thinking abortion?" I responded, "No!" He was going to beg me not to have one and ask to raise the child himself.

I chose life for our child, and one that included both parents. Choice includes personal responsibility. 

Unfortunately, Matthew only lived 9 ½ weeks, but I treasure that time with him. I am certain I made the right decision. Eventually, the marriage failed, too... but we were blessed with 3 more children.

Choices matter and LIFE matters. I know that there are times when an abortion is medically necessary to save the life of the mother. Often the child will miscarry, but I can understand if there is an exception.

I know it would be extremely hard to give birth to a child conceived of rape (especially incest) but it's punishing a child for a crime committed by a parent. Choose life for that child. If you choose adoption, you are creating life within a new family. Choose Life & Create Hope.




No comments: