Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Potter & The Clay

Have Thine own way Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the potter, I am the clay. 
Mold me and make me after thy will,
while I am waiting, yielded and still.

   Text:     Adelaide A. Pollard (1862-1934) 
Music: George C. Stebbins (1864-1945)
 
That has always been a favorite hymn from my childhood, 
and one I have thought about a lot recently. Have I always 
just mindlessly sang it...or have I ever sincerely asked
 God to mold me into the image He wants me to be?

But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’” Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?~ Romans 9:20-21

Crosshaven went through the book of Romans this year, so this was the first instance of this verse appearing to me. Unfortunately this is also a verse that is too reflective of my attitude this year. I would say that I have always been accepting of  anything connected to my life. Not to say that I don't rebel because I have pitched some temper tantrums with God that would put any 2 year old to shame.
There have been some wonderful changes in my life in 2010, but the whiney, "Why?", has become too prevalent also. This is certainly an area I am having to deal with much too frequently.




  
   He was using his hands to make a pot from clay, but something went wrong with it. So he used that clay to make another pot the way he wanted it to be. Then the Lord spoke His word to me: "Family of Israel, can't I do the same thing with you?" says the Lord. "You are in My hands like the clay in the potter's hands." ~ Jeremiah 18:4-6 (New Century Version)

On Sunday mornings in my Life Group (small group, Sunday School, whatever you want to call it), we have been studying the book of Jeremiah. This verse brought to mind that even though we may mess up, God can still use us. When something went wrong, the potter just started over to make the pot into what he wanted. This verse is one that gives me much hope and comfort. God can still use me.

After a day spent in what felt like a black pit of despair, the chance to go to church tonight to hear a message on the HOPE that was born to mankind on Christmas Day helped me begin to climb out with a glimmer of hope for my own life. I have prayed not only for me to live my life with acceptance, but acceptance-with-joy. God even graciously granted a selfish little prayer that I begged Him to send me as a sign that my prayer for forgiveness over my attitude ...especially today's...had been heard. (and that was even after I quickly repented of begging for a favor!)

Now, to truly begin to live as God wants, and to not question every motive or complain because things aren't what I hoped them to me. His Grace truly is sufficient. And whenever I sing along with "Potter's Hand", I want this to be my sincere prayer ... and to joyfully serve His purpose for my life.







December 29, 2010: "I will yield my life to the Potter's Hand"  ~ Cindy

No comments: