Sunday, February 19, 2017

Presidents Day 2017

February 20, 2017 is Presidents Day. As usual, I typed it in a search engine to pull up quotes, stories, etc. that might be appropriate. Mostly I have pulled up stories of how it really is about celebrating George Washington's birthday. The following in the International Business Times sums it as well as any: "The holiday was originally established to celebrate George Washington’s birthday, but now it always takes place on the third Monday in February, so it acts as a combo celebration for Washington, Abraham Lincoln and any other presidents you like."

I am tired of the #notmypresident and the idea of celebrating the "presidents you like." We have ONE president. Did I like the vision that President Obama had for America? Absolutely not! But I respected the office of The President of the United States and I prayed for him regularly. I am sure I probably said & posted things from time to time, but blasting him and being disrespectful was not the focal part of my day. Nor did I blindly believe every negative (or positive) thing I read without more research from a variety of sources. When he made a huge error in judgement, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt...unless, of course, it became a pattern.

Donald Trump was not even in my top 10 choices of the original pack of Republicans who were running. But it came down to a choice between a man whom I felt would take wise counsel and a power-hungry person who had a casual disregard for national security and not much more regard for human life, particularly the unborn. I voted for the only one my conscience would allow, and not voting was a choice I could not make as opposed as I am to H. Clinton.

However, if she had won, she would have been my President. I would have prayed for her leadership decisions---and hoped she would not destroy our country. We have survived other presidents who were unfit for office.

Our nation is currently in a state of turmoil like I have never seen. Journalist integrity has been replaced by those who wish to sway the nation rather than inform. People are rioting, demolishing property, marching for/against causes they don't seem to understand themselves with protesters who are often vulgar and profane, spreading lies, and letting hatred rule their lives. Even some of those who are in tentative agreement with opposing views are being openly mocked if they don't agree 100%. I confess that early Trump supporters were one of the main reasons I continued to think poorly of him.

Despite what many in the press and on social media would have you believe, Donald Trump IS The President of the United States. He fairly won the election and has set out to fulfill the promises he made. Am I going to be happy with every decision he makes? I seriously doubt it. But, despite my initial doubts, I am going to support him. My prayer is that I can find a way not to let my bitterness toward rioters, protesters, and marchers get out of hand. I have tried to listen to their point of view, but it always ends in anger, and despair for my country and her people. We need to learn to compromise, seek truth, and turn to God. This century has us on a path to ruin. It may have started with attacks from other nations, but we are now set to self-destruct. It is not too late. 


"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD." - Psalm 33:12

"However, if that nation I have made an announcement about turns from its evil, I will relent concerning the disaster I had planned to do to it." - Jeremiah 18:8

No comments: