Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Resting and Trusting in God

'This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "Only in returning to Me and resting in Me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength. But you would have none of it.'  ~ Isaiah 30:15

This verse popped up tonight as I was researching something that had nothing to do with anything from Scripture. Actually, I was doing a quick Math calculation, and was puzzled to see Scripture popping up. But, curiosity got the best of it, so I looked it up.

Immediately, I was struck by how it tied in with something that was been in my thoughts lately. Actually, several things have been on my mind due to issues that our facing our nation, and our world, and many are being brought to the forefront with a political twist added. I have struggled with frustration, rage, and even feelings of hopelessness as I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the hatred that has become social media. Even the ever-present kitten pictures and videos bring opinions and comments from joy to vile utterances.

A certain Bible verse has also been in my news feed a lot lately--- 'Be still and know that I am God.' ~ Psalm 46:10. I said, somewhat jokingly, to someone that God must really be trying to get me to pay attention. Of course, I have only paid attention superficially. Just now, I looked up the verse (I always forget the "address" of verses), and was struck even more by the portion of the verse that is rarely included: 
"Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world." So, the full Scripture is even closer to what has troubled me so much.

The current political season, filled with more animosity than ever, is dividing us radically...and with a hypocrisy that truly baffles me. I don't have a candidate I fully trust and support, but I will choose the one who seems more likely to choose wise advisors and is not as vocal in support of practices that I find evil. 
I cannot make others turn (or return) to God, but I can continue to pray and show kindness and love...and sometimes, merely shake the dirt off my feet (Matthew 10:14; Luke 9:5) and move on. Yes, I do believe that we are told to speak when a brother or sister in Christ strays, but not to rebuke those who are not believers. Does this mean to be silent about my opinion? No! That makes no sense. But, I can avoid name-calling, foul language, and hatred, or, more to the point, not allow others doing so to change me and my attitude.

The important thing to remember is---I do have a God I fully trust. I can rest in Him and have the confidence that He has all in control. No matter who wins or what happens as a result of this election, God will be triumphant!

No comments: