Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Awakened

Awakened is a supernatural Christian thriller about spiritual warfare, written by Eugene Cuevas, who also shared co-directing credit with Brian R. Reed. Synopsis (from Amazon): Newspaper reporter Jacob Harker (Rob Boltin) loses his job, forcing he and his wife, Haley (Gwendolyn Edwards), to move into a small rental house owned by Webster Cain (Michael Monks). In the process of moving in, Jacob discovers a discarded audio recording of 60’s blues singer Carol James (Hannah Hughes). Captivated by the voice on the recording, Jacob conducts an investigation into Carol James’ life and death.  Through his pursuit, Jacob becomes haunted by an evil spirit. While the spirit seductively persuades Jacob, drawing him deeper and deeper into its own malicious plot, the spirit attacks and terrorizes Haley, creating both fear and distrust in the Harker’s home. Haley sees her husband turning into someone less recognizable each day.




MY REVIEW: To be fair, I need to say upfront that I am not a fan of horror films, especially those that have possibilities of happening. As a Christian, I do believe in spiritual warfare. So, it did take several attempts for me to watch it since I would periodically tune it out. Kudos, btw, to Charles E. Lee for his suspenseful music. I did not dislike the film, and actually liked it better than I expected, but it did not live up to it's full potential. There were some parts that I could not really understand what was being said; it seemed a bit muffled. I also thought the orange/brown tones were a bit overdone, although I do understand that it helps create atmosphere.

My larger concern, though, was how little the Harker's seemed prepared for dealing with spiritual warfare: Jake and Haley seemed to be more cultural Christians, although Haley was more open to embracing faith. The pastor in the film was very likeable and knowledgeable, and gave a truthful representation of what may be happening without either downplaying or encouraging the possibility of demonic activity. I just know that I would like a bit more prayer support from others than Haley seemed interested in receiving.

Hardcore horror fans may find it all a bit tame, but I thought the film did a good job of telling a story of a person who slowly slipped into evil without even realizing the grip it had on him. A few tweaks here and there would have made it a better film, and they were more on the technical side than the writing or acting. If you are a fan or suspense or thriller dramas, this is a film you should consider. It also can open a door to conversations about the reality of evil and unseen forces. It definitely brought Ephesians 6:12 (For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.) to life for me.


Disclosure: I received this DVD compliments of Word Films and Edify Media Inc for my honest review. They are also offering a giveaway copy of this DVD. Please let me know through a comment on blog (or Facebook) that you want to be entered. All entries must be received by Saturday, June 25, 2016.

No comments: