Monday, February 23, 2015

Love Gently Falling by Melody Carlson

Rita Jansen is living her dream in Hollywood when her father calls with news that her mother is sick. When she gets home to Chicago, Rita finds her mother is facing a long recovery and could lose the family-owned salon. As Rita takes her mother's place at work, she also finds herself renewing a friendship with her classmate Johnny and is surprised by how far he will go to help her.

I am a fan of  Melody Carlson's books, but this is not one of my favorites by her. Perhaps it was just meant for a younger person than me because I got exasperated with Rita more than once. The story was a bit predictable, but I don't mind that as much as the ending seeming a bit rushed. To be fair, that is a common problem with novellas.

I did like the interaction between characters who have met again after a long time apart. Getting to view current situations and gaining a greater insight to issues from their past is a terrific reminder to the reader that things may not always be what they seem. It was also set in a unique setting that is different from most books. Since the book appears to be better suited to a young adult audience, that is a good lesson to learn. While I did not love the book, I did like it. It was a nice quick read and an enjoyable way to spend the evening.

You can also buy a copy at the following:
  Books-A-Million, Barnes & Noble, ChristianBook.com, or
Amazon.

Disclosure: I did receive a copy of book from Hatchette Book Group for review.
All opinions are my own.

No comments: