Friday, August 29, 2014

Holy Ghost movie


Can the Holy Spirit Direct a Movie?
  
In this fast-paced documentary from the director of the popular films Finger of God, Furious Love, and Father of Lights, Darren Wilson sets out to make a movie that is completely led by the Holy Spirit. No plan, no script, no safety net — just go wherever he feels the Spirit leading him to try and discover the adventure God has for him. Whether it’s the riches of Monte Carlo, a heavy metal concert, or the oldest city in world, the result is a film that not only challenges and excites, but also reveals a God who is far more alive and active than you ever imagined.

The movie features big names such as Lenny Kravitz, Brain “Head” Welch, Bill Johnson, Michael W. Smith, Todd White, Meredith Andrews, DeVon Franklin, William P. Young, Phil Vischer, and many more! (from the press release) 


My Review: After watching Holy Ghost several times, I remain ambivalent. My favorite parts were anytime Jake Hamilton sang. The boldness of sharing your faith and not limiting God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) to our own conceptions also was clearly brought out. In my opinion, we do not teach as much as we should on Holy Spirit in our churches. The movie has great lighting and no issues with the cinematography. There is also Closed Captioning and Director's Commentary!!

Negative is that much of it seemed to be very condescending toward Christians who disagree with the filmmakers. Yet, with nonbelievers, it was all, 'Yeah, man. Jesus loves you. It's all cool.' Frankly, I find that as disturbing as I do the screaming "Turn or Burn" type people. Perhaps they did a follow-up that was not shown on camera, but it felt more like a display of signs and wonders or party tricks...and that they were using Holy Spirit rather than letting Him work through them. Other times, I felt like I may be missing the point. Something about the score bothered me, but I often find that true in documentaries. No doubt that the composer is talented, but I had to turn it down several times.

Great conversation starter and gives the viewer some things to think about. I think I sometime took offense where none was intended, but I also felt that some parts lead to more confusion. Sometimes the director's commentary helped clarify, but other times I still felt there was too much arrogance or attempts to manipulate. To be honest, except for missing Hamilton's music, I prefer to watch the dvd with the commentary on. I believe the film can be used, though. One thing I do know is that you cannot limit Holy Spirit or what He will use to convict.

Holy Ghost Movie website


On September 6th, Wanderlust Productions will host the FREE worldwide premiere of the film at this site —> HolyGhostMovie.com

GIVEAWAY: FlyBy Promotions Blogger Network has a copy of the DVD available for one of my readers. Simply leave a comment to be entered into a random drawing. Deadline to enter is September 7, 2014 at 7pm (CDT). Open to US and Canada residents only.

 Disclosure: I received a copy of this movie from FlyBy Blogger Network in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. This is Becky again. My son just mentioned this movie Mon. Night. I wouldn't mind winning a copy.