Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Perfect Summer dvd

In The Perfect Summer, fatherless teenager Jake (Adam Horner) has to leave Chicago and move with his mom (Sydney Penny) to a small surfing town to live with her father (Eric Roberts) when she needs help supporting them. With no home internet, cable, or friends, the transition isn't easy and Jake isn't quite ready to accept the changes.

While using the internet at the local surf shop, owned by Cody (Jason Castro), Jake is attracted to a young surfing prodigy, Kayla (Katie Garfield)... which makes him an instant enemy to the town bully, Tyler (JD Banks). In an effort to fit in, and spend more time with Kayla, Jake agrees when his grandfather, Lou, offers to teach him how to surf. Through these surfing lessons, Jake also learns lessons in life about determination, facing fears, and rising above the challenges when all seems to be crashing around you.

"The Perfect Summer" was written by Nathan Scoggins and Gary Wheeler; Wheeler also directed the film. The dvd is 85 minutes long and suitable for most audiences. The bullying scenes may be too violent for younger viewers, but it is a clean, wholesome movie. Watch the trailer below:


 My Review: Despite some criticisms I have, I honestly did enjoy watching this movie. It has a message about moving along with your life no matter how awful things may seem, whether it is due to your own mistakes or when circumstances occur that causes life to pivot. Yet, it is not told in a preachy manner that will turn off the audience it is intended to reach. It can be enjoyed as a simple entertainment or used to start a discussion based on topic or characters

The film moves along in a predictable direction and I did think some of the roles were caricatures of the same type that appears in countless films. That's not to say that the acting was not good; I have just seen these people in nearly every beach film from when I watched "Beach Blanket Bingo" as a child on up to the most recent films. There were also a couple of things that did not quite make sense to me.

The movie is worth watching. Being predictable is not always a bad thing, and I did think the acting was solid. I enjoy watching Eric Roberts in everything I have ever seen him in, and this film is no exception. Both Sydney Penny and Louis Mandylor are seasoned professionals who give great performances. With the exception of Jason Castro (whom I know only as a singer), I don't know the younger actors in the film, but felt they all did justice to their roles.

 I received The Perfect Summer compliments of Word Films and Edify Media for my honest review. I was not required to write a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are strictly my own.

Website 

No comments: