Monday, May 21, 2012

Christian Films

 The subject of Christian film...and what YOU think "Christian Film" means has been the topic of several discussions lately. I am of the opinion that Christian film is a label that should not necessarily be used. Just the words cause some people to automatically love or hate a film. When reading the reviews of films that are categorized as 'Christian', it always seems to boil down to followers of Christ raving about the perfection or nonbelievers ranting about the absurdity of the film content. Both viewpoints are unfair to the makers of the films and the potential viewers. A major point of contention is often whether faith-based films are meant to proselytize.

In fact, one of my FB friends, Clayton Michael Frasier recently asked: "DO YOU THINK THAT CHRISTIAN FILM DOES WHAT THEY THINK IT DOES; AS IN SAVES PEOPLE, BRINGS PEOPLE TO CHRIST?" 
Please go chime in with your answer!! (click here for link)

Another complaint is the opinion that Christian films are "cheesy" or of poor quality. There are some poorly made films that the Christian community is sometimes "guilted" into supporting. However, is this a fair evaluation of ALL faith-based films?  Have they compromised to appeal to more people...just to 'lure' them into theaters? Do you think the quality of these films is improving? Recently, producer Benjamin Dane sat down with BTFS Editor, James Burgess to talk about the evolution of faith-based films (and what makes Beyond The Farthest Star different.)






What do you think? I must admit, a couple of films did immediately come to my mind. I would love to hear more of what he has to say about how Christian film and filmmaking has changed from earlier efforts. Also, more on what he (or any of my readers) consider to be good or poorly made Christian films...both past and present.


James Burgess ( Pros And Cons: A Fantasy Football Movie, Still Born, Pilgrim's Progress) is pictured here in a late night Beyond The Farthest Star editing session with actor/producer Benjamin Dane and writer/director Andrew Librizzi.

 (I know there are other films I could have used, but y'all know this is my favorite. lol) 




My point...and the reason I was unable to simply answer my friends question... is that each film is not necessarily meant to have an 'altar call' at the end. Should a filmmaker even try to encompass all of Christianity in one film? Amazing Grace is one of my favorite films, and part of the reason is because it was about a man who was a Christian yet the film did not try to beat people upside the head with a Bible. It was simply a realistic film of a man who made his decisions based on his faith...just as I do in my own life. I like films that strengthen my faith or make me think. I also have no issue with films that do boldly lay out the plan of salvation.  But a film that is well-written, sincerely told, and doesn't feel 'forced' and will open a dialogue about why I believe what I do about Jesus with a non-believer is amazing. There is room for most genres of film to be made with a Christian perspective, and we should offer the best of our talents to Christ. I am excited to see what the future holds for the film industry as more people are raising a standard of excellence.

2 comments:

-MK- said...

Related "christian" film thoughts from -MK-: 1) The 10 Commandments of Christian Filmmaking (http://www.themklife.com/wp/?p=821) and 2) Preaching to the Choir…and Action! (http://themklife.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/preach-to-the-choir/)

deborahseeley54 said...

I am glad that this field is changing. We as Christians are only to do our part. We are not to do God's part. We are merely to plant and water the seed. The harvest is up to God. I believe that we are to make films that are to touch the very core of those that view them. It must relate to all that we experience in our lives. God has us go through valley's for a lot of reasons that we don't always know, but, one thing I am sure of, is that what we experience in our walk needs to be shared to let others know that they are not alone and that there are others out there who feel our pain, experience our joy, can identify with their struggles. That we show what keeps us going, why we don't give up! So I say Bravo to the new generation that will forge ahead and make faith based films GREAT!!! GO GOD!!!!