Sunday, January 2, 2011

A 'Radical' Challenge


Am I a follower of Christ...or a follower of the American Dream Christ? This is the question I asked myself as I began reading "Radical" by David Platt. Most of my adult life I have had much interest and concern over both the persecuted believers, and those who have yet to hear the gospel of Jesus. Yet, it has been so easy to slide into the more convenient social club/church lifestyle.

Dr. Platt, pastor of The Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, AL, has written a book that challenges me to re-evaluate my own comfortable lifestyle. While it is easy to justify some of the choices we make in how we live out our faith, we can also get too caught up in the perception of that minimal is good enough. He does not say you have to give it all up, but to think about how you do spend your time, your talent, and your money. How much time do you spend reading the Word and praying? Do you reach out to those who don't have as much as you? And, I don't mean just financially. Have you shared the love of Jesus with someone who doesn't know Him? This is an excellent book that I recommend you read for yourself. Dr. Platt challenges the reader to take part in a year long "Radical Experiment", and I know that it has given me much to think about. Am I up to the challenge? Are you?

In compliance with the FTC guidelines of Dec. 9, 2009..."I received
this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review". I was not required to give a favorable review.

No comments: