Sunday, April 15, 2018

When Faith Catches Fire

When Faith Catches Fire by Rev. Samuel Rodriguez and Dr. Robert Crosby is the story of the passionate fires of worship flaring among Latino and Hispanic churches worldwide. Discover how you can experience a more dynamic walk with God! Sharing compelling insights and personal stories, Rodriguez and Crosby will help you become immersed in the Spirit; transform your friendships, family, and community; and embrace unity amidst diversity in the church.

My review: The book is well written and has some stories and statistics I fully agree with...especially the reminders that ALL Hispanics and Latinos do not think alike or vote alike. I have never understood why the myth of "Group Think" continues to be popular among journalists and analytical "experts." Much of the information, especially stories of Billy Graham and Martin Luther King Jr., was things I already knew, too. Although I was VERY struck by the statement that many of the White churches were more concerned with handing out hope and the Black churches cared more about help. I am not sure I entirely agree with the statement, but I do believe that we need a combination of both help and hope.

To be fair, I am not exposed much to the Hispanic community, so I am unaware of any bridge being built to inspire the Church by Hispanics and Latinos. According to the book:
 At the core of this dramatic shift is a call to embrace a more soulful, passionate faith. In this powerful book, Christians will gain valuable insights on how to:
  •  Fully experience the joy of God and the passion of His Spirit.
  • Develop a true sense of unity amidst diversity in the body of Christ.
  • Make an eternal impact on their families, communities, and the world.
I have heard Samuel Rodriguez preach 2 or 3 times and am always inspired and revitalized by what the Holy Spirit is doing through him and the message he has. However, I struggled to get through both this book, and another that I read. His fire and passion do not translate into the written word as well for me...but I still recommend him based on what I hear. It was another perspective to look at when trying to see what the Church needs to be doing today, but I did not entirely catch the vision...at least to the point of disregarding all other views.

I received a copy of the book at no cost to myself from Blogging For Books.

No comments: