Monday, April 30, 2018

Let Your Light Shine

“I have but one candle of life to burn, and I would rather burn it in a land filled with darkness than in a land flooded with lights.” - Ion Keith-Falconer, 1856–1887, Scottish missionary and Arabic scholar

I love this quote, but am also saddened as I reflect that America is growing increasingly dark. As a believer in Jesus Christ, I do want to reflect the Light of His love to all, yet I struggle in the midst of all of the anger, chaos, and violence we are facing. It can be difficult to love those who ridicule, or worse, get angered by anyone who does not agree 100% with their viewpoint. Yet, when I cannot love through my own strength, I must view people through His eyes and let His love come forth.

And, I do not mean through tolerance or acceptance of sinful behavior...or even ignoring it. Jesus demonstrated righteous anger, but did not sin. But I do have to let go of anger when it consumes my thoughts or bitterness with people who refuse to have a civil conversation that attempts to find resolution to problems. There are some people I will simply always disagree with...and I am okay with that. But, I have to also learn to be okay that there are those who will never be okay with me disagreeing. Matthew 10:22 says, "You will be hated by everyone because of Me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved." So, the tricky part (for me) is making sure I am being hated for the correct reason---not because of myself!


"Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world." - 1 Peter 2:12

 Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:15-16, "Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a lampstand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."




Originally published July 20, 2016 on a blog I have discarded.

No comments: