Thursday, October 10, 2013

I am Second (paperback)

I Am Second  is a book, somewhat like mini-biographies, that shares the story of people from all walks of life. Some names may be internationally known and others are completely unknown to you. But each has a common thread that binds them together and you may find you can relate to a few of these stories yourself.   If you have ever seen any of the videos, you know the premise of the white chair and the black backdrop. These are not stories told in shades of gray, but in a simple black and white straight-forward manner. "I once was like _______, but I turned to Jesus and now I am ________." Some are turning to God for the first time and others are returning to Him....perhaps they have even tried and failed more than once. The personal testimony given is unlikely to match yours, but at least one will have a story that you can relate to in some way. Even if your story is completely different, the message is still reiterated to all that God will never leave you and is waiting for you to come to Him. Authors Doug Bender and Dave Sterrett have put together a compact book that is filled with stories of darkness, rejection, pain, and emptiness, but end with the hope found in Jesus when you choose to place Him first in your life and yourself (& all other things) second.




You may remember that I have reviewed this book before, however there is a difference. This paperback version has been revised and expanded. The copy I was given was online, which is not a method I like; I am the old-fashioned, hold the book in my hand and turn the pages type. With that being said, I still love the book. I am also still just as clueless on how you can use your phone to scan over some odd design to see a video...but I am assured it works. The important thing is not the technology but that the message each of these people are conveying: "I was here, but when I put God first, I was able to climb out of the rut." This clearly shows how simple it is to give your own testimony.  There are no claims that life is now free of sorrow, but there is an emphasis on the hope we find in Christ.  The most important lesson though, is to learn to say, "God is first---I am Second."

There are too many of the videos for me to choose just one, so here is a link to their YouTube channel, along with several other I AM SECOND pages you will want to check out for yourself.
I Am Second Youtube Channel
I Am Second Website
I Am Second Facebook
I Am Second Twitter

No comments: