Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mended by Angie Smith

"The image of my life as a broken pitcher was beautiful to me, but at the same time, it was hard to look at all of the cracks. I ran my fingers along them and told Him I wish it had been different. How I wished I had always loved Him, always obeyed Him, always sought Him the way I should. I was mad at the imperfections, years wasted, gaping holes where it should be smooth. But God, my ever-gracious God, was gentle and yet convicting as He explained.

'My dearest Angie. How do you think the world has seen me? If it wasn’t for the cracks, I couldn’t seep out the way I do. I chose the pitcher. I chose you, just as you are.'"
(from the back cover)

Mended: Pieces Of a Life Made Whole is the 3rd book written by Angie Smith. Many are familiar with her through the blog she writes, Bring The Rain. This book is a series of 31 devotions that share a portion of Scripture, along with a former blog post that has been redone in book format. Each chapter gives a feel of a good friend sharing what is going on in her life. There were times I laughed, cried, or was reminded of similar things in my own life. She definitely has a gift of tying it all together into a word picture that brings hope, healing, and help as the reader sees how to use her own cracks and imperfections to allow the light of Jesus to pour out. This is a book I will read again, but I was most impressed by a story called The Canvas in a section at the end called "Foundational Pieces". Make sure you don't just stop after the 31 devotions, but read on through the end of the book. (You know, in a film there are sometimes hidden gems in the closing credits! Same principle here!)




Angie Smith is the wife of Todd Smith (lead singer of Dove Award winning group Selah), author of I Will Carry You and What Women Fear, and one of the most popular speakers and blog writers in the country. She holds a Master’s degree in Developmental Psychology from Vanderbilt University and lives with her husband and daughters in Nashville, TN.

No comments: