Friday, October 28, 2011

Film, Faith, & Fathers

The recently released film, Courageous , had a very strong message about the importance of being a father. I am one of many who applauds the efforts to redirect what has become an alarming trend in media in recent years to portray all dads as clueless, goofy, figureheads. They are loved, but the disrespect is obvious. Of course, that is if there is a father anywhere around. Watch this Courageous trailer.

Aren't these the kinds of films we need? I was blessed to have my dad  in my life. I know that there are way too many kids (including my own) who did not have that advantage. We have become a culture that is more influenced by television and films than ever before. I think it is sad, but it means we should be even more aware of what we and our kids watch. Since some kids do not have a male role model in their lives, who do you want them to emulate? I know I want my grandkids (& my adult kids) to see men who love God, their wives, their children, & their communities.....even if it is in a movie.

I definitely encourage everyone to go see Courageous, but here are a few others I hope you will support:

1. Beyond The Farthest Star: Adam Wells, a minister driven by the prospect of achieving greatness as the next nationally-syndicated TV Evangelist lays down his opportunity at “celebrity” and even his own life in order to become something even greater... A loving husband and father to his wife and daughter. (Pathlight Entertainment)
Starring
Renee O'Connor & Todd Terry
Directed by
Andrew Librizzi
Screenplay by
Andrew Librizzi
Produced by
Benjamin Dane, Sally Helppie
   Click to view audience reaction at test screening.
Also check out the Beyond The Farthest Star website/.

2. Hardflip: With no father in his life to guide him, & his mother working 2 jobs, Caleb believes nothing matters in life but skateboarding. When his mother falls ill, Caleb is forced to deal with her illness and sets out to find the father he never knew. (Skipstone Pictures)
Starring
Randy Wayne, John Schneider, Rosanna Arquette, Christopher Michael, Sean Michael Afable, Louise Griffiths, Sean Michael Afable, Matt Ziff
Directed by
Johnny Remo
Written By
Johnny Remo and Dan Backman
Produced by
Johnny Remo


    Hardflip website

3. Broken Faith: A ex-special ops kidnaps his estranged daughter from police custody; but when a corrupt ATF agent tries to kill them both he must learn to trust in God’s guidance to reconcile with his daughter and bring down the rogue agent’s billion dollar weapons smuggling operation. (A 102 Studios)

Starring
Michael Joiner, Vanessa Ore & Rodney Wiseman
Directed by
Danny Rogers & Ricki Holmes
Written By
Frank Foster & Barbara Snellgrove
Screenplay by
Ricki Holmes
Produced by
David Vercruysse, Don Snellgrove & Sarah Kessinger
   Broken Faith website

4. Hero: The desperate need for men to return to God’s calling; that they be fathers to their sons. (Advent Film Group)
Directed by
Manny Edwards
Screenplay by
Manny Edwards, George Escobar, and Burgess Jenkins
Produced by
Manny Edwards, George Escobar, Burgess Jenkins, and Michael Snyder
   Hero website

5. The Father Effect Movie: A documentary whose mission is to awaken fathers to a real understanding of the significant impact that they have on their children. (John Finch)
   Father Effect trailer
    Check out the videos and other info at ThePerfectFather.org

I am sure there are many more coming out. I also encourage you to check out some that are already on DVD such as Cutback, A Letter To Dad, The Grace Card, & Standing Firm. If you know of others, please let me know. After all, we can't support them, if we don't know about them! :)

7 comments:

BenjaminDane said...

What a great list of films Cindy. You are so right. Fathers are challenged in our country. I feel they truly are the backbone of families. If they are absent, it is detrimental on the family... unfortunately, it is an overwhelming trend. Men need to stand again temptation, gird their loins and face the enemy of destruction head-on. We must be true warriors for our faith and families.

Cindy Navarro said...

Thanks Ben! You know I am really looking forward to seeing what you, Andy, and the cast and crew have done with BTFS. The reviews I have heard are all positive.

Donald James Parker said...

Great stuff, Cindy. And excellent comment by Benjamin. God is calling his people to join His army but not to battle our fellow humans. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Film will be a critical weapon in that battle.

Cindy Navarro said...

Thank you! I truly believe that film has a major impact. There have been several that have been conversation-openers for me to be able to plant a few seeds. I truly appreciate all involved in faith-based media for using your God-given talents.

shlom media said...

I wanna say Cindy is a great soldier of Christ by her little work in support of the gospel of Christ. I pray that God almighty willl never let you down in the name of Jesus. I will be happy to see your face one day.

Cindy Navarro said...

Thanks, but "little" is the key word here. I only wish I was capable of truly helping.

shlom media said...

Hmmmmmmm, the word "LITTLE" means a lot to me. Jesus stood by the offering bag watching the people as they are dropping what they brought and it was surprising that the woman with least was the most faithful among them all. Therefore your own little could be the most acceptable before God. But as for me, your little had been wonderful to me.